Thursday, March 19, 2015

'Before I go to Sleep' author SJ Watson's life changing books..

SJ Watson burst onto the literary scene in 2011 with Before I Go To Sleep, a dark and disturbing thriller about a woman whose memory is erased whenever she falls asleep. It became a sensation, selling four million copies in over 40 languages and being adapted for the screen, featuring Nicole Kidman and Colin Firth.

Four years later SJ is back with the follow up, Second Life, which tells the story of a married woman who is drawn into the world of online dating while investigating the murder of her sister.

The follow up is still awaiting publication.

 Before I Go to Sleep: A NovelBefore I Go to Sleep: A Novel by S. J. Watson

Second Life: A NovelSecond Life: A Novel by S. J. Watson

 Here are a few books that made SJ Watson the writer he is today: (source: 'The List')

 The book that made him fall in love with literature:

 "it’s impossible to answer this one! I really can’t remember a time when I didn’t love books. But the first books I read, or had read to me I suspect, were Enid Blyton’s Faraway Tree stories, so if I’m being forced to choose I’d say those." says SJ.

 The Faraway Tree CollectionThe Faraway Tree Collection by Enid Blyton

The book that made him become a writer:

 The Lord of the Rings Complete Visual CompanionThe Lord of the Rings Trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien

SJ states :"The Lord of the Rings. It’s an obvious choice, perhaps, but it’s the truth. I was given it when I was ten years old, it by a teacher who could see how much I wanted more after reading The Hobbit. I loved it so much. I immersed myself in the world it created. I’d been reading for years, but this was the first book that made me really understand how powerful and trans-formative books could be, and on some deep level I knew I wanted to write."



No comments:

Post a Comment