Thursday, March 5, 2015

Kristin Kreuk lists five books that have shaped her life..

Kristin Kreuk , a well known actress just can't escape the world of books. Some of her accomplishments are playing Lana Lang in the Superman-inspired TV series Smallville, playing the title character in the Snow White television movie and, most recently, nabbing a People's Choice Award for Favorite Sci-Fi/Fantasy TV Actress in January 2015 for her role in the CW's Beauty and the Beast.
Kristin simply loves to read.According to our source CBC Books Kristin mentioned 5 books that have helped shaped her life.

The book that got her through a difficult time
Geek Love by Katherine Dunn
"I read Katherine Dunn's Geek Love at a time when I felt particularly isolated and strange. It was perfect. Geek Love
is a celebration of those aspects of our personalities that are
bizarre, strange and out of the ordinary. It is also a story of family -
albeit a family of genetically warped circus geeks -- and all the
wonderful and twisted aspects of that." states Kristin











The first book she remembers reading

Anne of Green Gables by
L.M. Montgomery
"The first book that I actually remember reading was Anne of Green Gables...
How very Canadian of me. Obviously I remember reading books prior to
that, but this was the first time I was pulled deeply into another world
and profoundly affected by a character. Anne Shirley was not only who I
wanted to be -- a fiercely independent girl filled with writerly
impulses -- she also spoke to the ways in which I felt like an outsider,
and gave some shape to my nostalgia and joy and sadness. Every journal
from that time is steeped in Anne Shirley."






The book she recommends to friends

Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson
"Lately it has to be Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson. This
novel is written with such consideration and wisdom. Each word is filled with layers of meaning and beauty. It is a book that I want to chew on.The way Ms. Robinson writes of the permanence of loss and the impermanence of life and relationships speaks right to my heart. So I decided that everyone would feel the same way. Ha."










The book that made her a poetry fan

Coney Island of the Mind by Lawrence Ferlinghetti
"A Coney Island of the Mind by Lawrence Ferlinghetti was my first poetry collection. And I just loved it. This book propelled me into poetry. I loved the rhythm of the language, the feeling he conjured of a place and time, his humour and his politics. His words made me feel
lifted and potent. I am endlessly grateful to Ferlinghetti for opening the door into this world."














The book that took her a long time to come around to - but she's happy she finally did..


Palestine by Joe Sacco

"More than a book, an entire genre; I had avoided comic books and graphic
novels my entire reading career. A person very dear to me successfully
lured me into the comic world with Joe Sacco's Palestine. I tore
through the book and proceeded to build a mini collection of graphic
novels. This form is cinematic, intimate and infinitely creative"

No comments:

Post a Comment